Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Introducing style icon #2.

Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis, also known as Jackie O, is my style icon #2.



I can't remember the first time I encountered this lovely woman (well, not in person, but you know what I mean). I think it was a gradual process--enough history classes plus an interest in fashion just led me to her. I can't help but notice that she and Audrey Hepburn (see previous post) had very similar style. They were at their peaks at almost the exact same time and, though they created their own style for themselves, they were similar in a lot of ways in my mind. She also possesses a strong sense of grace and class, but in the more political spotlight. She was, after all, the first lady.




Absolutely love this one! I don't have the privilege of seeing this photo in color, but I can clearly see the square print, light trim and simple strand of pearls. I think that this number perfectly describes Jackie O's style--trim silhouettes, classic patterns, and of course, the signature pillbox hat! She also is donning a pair of white gloves and over-sized, black sunglasses. The white gloves give a certain ambiance to the outfit. That's quite vague though.... What I mean is, I feel like the outfit would've been missing something if she hadn't worn the gloves. It would've been missing something and, in my opinion, it wouldn't have looked as lovely. They gives the look of I-may-not-be-going-to-church-but-I-can-wear-my-white-gloves-because-I-wear-what-I-want.




Jack and Jackie in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts circa 1960. I would say that this is a more casual number--a tea length, floral, sleeveless dress. The waist is cinched, which you know I love and the neck is appropriate, which you know I love also! You can see that she is holding light rimmed, cat-eye sunglasses. I like this look because, though casual, she still manages to look elegant and glamorous. When people think of glamour and elegance, they think of diamonds and pearls, swanky parties and champagne, but here, it's the exact opposite. I think that Jacqueline Kennedy's elegance was engraved into her--it wasn't something that she was faking. She was a genuine classy person and that shows in this shot of her and her husband just acting casual.




This is the most formal look out of the three that I am presenting to you. Mrs. Kennedy wore this apricot beauty on a boat ride in India in 1962. Can you imagine wearing a silk zibeline, which is a heavier feeling silk, dress with gloves on a boat ride in Indian heat? I would be dying, so I definitely admire her for this one. I particularly like the bow that ties at the waist and the A-line skirt. You may not know this, but I am absolutely obsessed with bows. I can't even explain to anybody how much I love them. They are definitely worn with 95% of my outfits, so I love how this dress is accented with one. Once again, the white gloves are like instant elegance. Put on a pair and mind your manners and you're on your way to being a tad more posh (we can talk about what makes a classy person in my own opinion later.


Stay tuned for style icon #3! And I may start a back to school series. However, even if I don't, I will definitely be making a back to school outfit post for you.

Signed, 
Penelope P.


Image Source 2 
Image Source 3
Image Source 4

No comments:

Post a Comment